Texas Hold`em Poker (Pot Limit)
Texas Hold`em (or simply, “Hold`em”) is the most popular poker game in the casinos and poker rooms across North America and Europe. It`s popularity at the moment is spreading fast also at the Australian casinos. Driven by the popularity of big events such as the World Poker Tour and the World Series of Poker, which can be seen live on cable and satellite tv, playing Texas Hold`em has become a big enough pastime and many people also have begun playing Hold’em on the internet.
HOW TO PLAY
Texas Hold`em is a poker game with four betting rounds.
- One of the players is the nominal dealer. His position is known as “the button” and rotates clockwise. This position is marked by a disc actually called the button.
- The two players immediately clockwise the button post the Small Blind and the Big Blind better known as the Blind Bets. Those are the only two players that post bets that are part of the pot before the first two cards are being dealt. Blind Bets, the same as the button, rotate clockwise after every round of play and every player at the table will get an opportunity to post them when his turn comes.
- Every player gets two cards face-down. They are known as hole cards or pocket cards.
- The first betting round, in minimum value as the Big Blind and maximum as the value of the pot, starts with the first active player that sits immediately clockwise the Big Blind and goes on with the rest of the active players clockwise.
- When the first betting round is over the croupier deals three community cards face-up on the board. It is known as The Flop.
- The second betting round commences with the first active player sitting clockwise the button and goes on with the rest of the active players clockwise.
- When the betting action is completed for The Flop round, the fourth community card is being dealt face-up. It is called The Turn.
- The third betting round is going on by the same rules as above.
- After the third betting round is over the fifth and the final community card is being dealt face-up on the board. It is called The River.
- The fourth and final betting round starts by the same rules as previous rounds.
- Remaining active players are showing their cards and the player with the best five-card hand wins the pot. This part of the game is known as The Showdown.
At Pot Limit variation of play, the unlimited amount of rising is allowed, which is limited by the total amount of the pot.
The players can make their best five-card combination using their two hole cards and the five community cards. It is possible by using their two hole cards in conjuction with three of the community cards, or using only one hole card with four of the community cards, or they can accept all of the five community cards without using any of the hole cards. Enjoy the game.
CARD RANKING AND ORDER OF “HANDS”
Texas Hold`em Poker is played with full deck of cards which consists of 52 cards arranged in 4 equal suits with every suit containing: Ace, King, Queen, Jack, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, and 2. Card ranking beginning with the highest towards lowest card is: A, K, Q, J, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, and 2. Aces can be ranked as the highest card (for ex. A, K, Q, J, 10) or as the lowest card (for ex. 5, 4, 3, 2, A). All other cards are ranked by their face value. Neither of the suits (or colours) has higher rank than the others. That means that hearts, clubs, diamonds and spades are equal in ranking. The order of the hands beginning with the highest towards lowest is as follows:
- Royal Flush: 10, J, Q, K, A-all of the same suit;
- Straight flush: Any five cards in order and of the same suit with 9, 10, J, Q, K as the highest and A, 2, 3, 4, 5 as the lowest straight flush;
- Four of a kind : Four of the same number or picture (4A, 4K, 4J...);
- Full house: Three of the same with a pair (3K and 2J);
- Flush : Five cards in any order of the same suit
- In case when two or more players have flush at the same hand, the winner shall be the hand with the higher-ranking card. If two or more players share community cards highest in rank, the player that holds the next smaller in rank hole card shall be the winner.
- Straight: Any five cards in order with 10, J, Q, K, A as the highest and A, 2, 3, 4, 5 as the lowest straight;
- Three of a kind: Three of the same number or picture card;
- Two pairs: Any two pairs of cards with the same number or picture;
- One pair: Two of the same number or picture card;
- Highest card: Five different cards by suit, colour and value with the highest card in ranking making the strongest hand.