Texas Hold'em Poker
In Le Grand Casino in Skopje we have 2 Texas Hold'em Poker tables for live game.
BASIC CHARACTERISTICS OF THE GAME
1. Texas Hold'em Poker is a variation of a poker using five community or community cards related to two own cards of each individual player. There are four betting rounds with an unlimited number of raising of the bets.
2. On the Texas Hold'em Poker table minimum 2 and maximum 11 players can play at the Texas Hold'em Poker table.
3. The so called dealer's button (or marker) will be handed over to each next player in clockwise direction after each round of the game.
4. The "Blinds" or the blind bets are placed by both players sitting after the button in the clockwise direction, first the "Small Blind" and then the "Big Blind".
5. None of the players may miss the "Blinds". If any "Blind" is missed, it should be compensated during the continuation of the game itself. If both "Blinds" are missed, then the "Big Blind" must be placed, while the "Small Blind" will be given to the pot.
6. If any of the players misses his "Blind" in two consecutive rounds, after returning to the game, depending on where the "Blinds" are and the button at that time, he/she will have to place and bet with the "Big Blind" as is the case with a new player.
7. If the player at the "Small Blind" leaves, a new player may sit on that seat, however, he/she will have to place a "Big Blind".
8. A new player may not enter the game on the place between the button and the "Blinds" i.e. he/she will have to wait, so that the button passes his seat.
9. The cards are shuffled, cut and dealt by the dealer who may not take part as a player in the game.
10. The order of the seats of the players around the table is determined by drawing cards. The initial position of the button will be with the first player to the left of the dealer.
DEALING AND BETTING PROCEDURES in TEXAS HOLD'em POKER
1. The cards dealing and betting by the players is according to the following order: the flat round disc called "button" is used to determine the fictive dealer. This button rotates around the table in clockwise direction in each round of the game.
2. The player just left of the button starts the initial betting by placing :Small Blind". The player left of him places the "Big Blind" in accordance with the specified requirements on the table.
3. The additional so-called "voluntary" bet i.e. straddle bet, may be placed by the player next of the "Big Blind". The following rules apply to this bet:
a) Only one straddle bet is allowed in each dealing.
b) It has always double value compared to "Big Blind".
c) The straddle bet is placed before the player gets the cards.
d) The straddle bet is considered a "Live Blind" made before dealing the own cards to the players, which means the player has the opportunity of raising the bet when the time comes to make an action in the first betting round.
e) The player placing the "straddle bet" shall loudly announce the same, so that it is confirmed by the dealer. If not loudly announced by the player and confirmed by the dealer, and the own cards have been dealt, then the player will lose the right to raise his straddle bet when his turn comes for action in the first betting round. The dealer is not responsible to remind the players to place a straddle bet. The dealer is not also responsible to announce the placed "straddle bet" if the player has not done so before.
4. The dealer deals the cards face-down one by one starting with the first player after the button who has placed "Small Blind" and continues to deal in clockwise direction while all active players on the table receive two cards each.
5. The first betting round starts with the player to the left of "Big Blind" and ends with the player placing "Big Blind". Each player including the players who placed "Blinds" will have a chance to withdraw, to place the same amount or raise the same depending on the action conducted by the previous players.
6. The dealer then "burns" the upper card of the deck and continues dealing three community cards one by one from the deck face-down one over another and then takes them and turns the cards face up placing them one by one on the middle of the table. This part of the game is known under the name "The Flop".
7. The second betting round continues with the first active player from the left of the button who may bet, stand or withdraw from the game. The minimum bet is the amount of the "Big Blind" , while the maximum one is the value to the pot at the time. The other players may withdraw, bet the same amount, or bet the same amount or raise their bets, raise initial bet or may stand depending on what action has been conducted by the previous players. The betting round will be considered final when each player will withdraw or respond appropriately to the latest bet.
8. Once the second betting round ends, the dealer will again "burn" the upper card of the deck and will deal additional fourth card face up, which will be added to the community cards. This part of the game is caller "The Turn".
9. The third betting round will continue with the first active player sitting left from the button who may bet the minimum value of the "Big Blind", to bet any amount bigger than the minimum and not exceeding the maximum, to stand or to withdraw. The other players may bet the same amount, to raise the bet, to place an initial bet, to stand or to withdraw, depending on what action has been carried out by the previous players.
10. When the third betting round ends, the dealer "burns" the upper card of the deck and deals the fifth and the last card face up, added to the community cards. This part of the game is called "The River".
11. The fourth and the last betting round starts the same as the previous round with the first active player left from the button who may as a minimum place the "Big Blind" value, to bet with any amount higher than the minimum, but not to exceed the maximum, to stand or withdraw. The other players may bet the same amount, to raise the bet, to place an initial bet, to stand or to withdraw, depending on what action has been carried out by the previous players. Immediately after the last card has been dealt, the burned cards will be placed on the top of the remaining cards of the deck, which have been left non-dealt.
12. Once all bets are placed and if more than one player remains, with the opening of the cards to the players, it will be decided who will be the player who will win the pot. This part of the game is known as "The Showdown".
13. The players form the best "hand" of the five cards by making combinations with their two cards and the five community cards belonging to the table. The player may form the best "hand" using:
a) his two own cards or three community common cards;
b) one own card and four community ones; and
c) five community cards.
The winner of the pot will be the player with best rated "hand" comprising five cards.
14. If the remaining players use the five community cards to form the best "hand" (in case their own cards have no contribution in creating the best rated "hand"), or make a combination of their own with the community cards and have "hands" of equal value, all active players in the "hand" will equally divide the pot among themselves.
RULES FOR TWO PLAYERS AT THE TABLE (Heads Up Play)
When there are two active players at the table, "Small Blind" is placed by the player sitting next to the button, The first card will be dealt to the player having the "Big Blind" thus observing the rule for the first player after the button. Then, before "The Flop" the player having the "Small Blind" always conducts the action first. It may be supplemented by the "Big Blind" , to raise a minimum to bet a pot or may withdraw. Then, in terms of his action, the turn to respond comes to the player having the "Big Blind". If the player having the "Small Blind" only supplement the "Big Blind" , the other player may stand, may make the minimum raise, to bet a pot or withdraw. In all the other cases, it is according to the conducted action. After the "Flop", i.e. after the drawing of the three community cards, in all remaining betting rounds, the first player who conducts the action is the one sitting after the button i.e. the player having the "Big Blind".
SPECIAL "POT LIMIT" RULES
1. In the "Pot Limit" game, an indefinite number of raises of bets is allowed, in an amount not exceeding the size of the pot.
2. If a bet is placed exceeding the size of the pot, the surplus will be returned to the player who placed that bet soonest possible, while the amount will be limited to the maximum allowed one.
3. The dealer or any of the players in the game may react if a bet exceeding the size of the pot is observed.
4. The minimum bet that may be raised by the player is the amount of the previous bet or the raising in the same betting round, of course, once the first bet has been responded.
5. The maximum amount that may be raised by the player is the amount of the pot once equal bet to the previous one has been placed. So, for example, if the pot amounts to 100 € and someone places a bet of 50 € , the next player may respond to the bet by placing 50 € and will raise the pot to 200 € , thus the total pot will be 250 € .
6. In the game "Pot Limit", "Small Blind" is considered as having the same size of the "Big Blind" in the calculation of the pot size. It means that the player after the "Blinds", in the first betting round, may place a bet of maximum 4 times higher than the "Big Blind" amount. For example, if the "Blinds" are 5 € and 10 €, the player may place a bet of 40 €. This means the player has placed a bet of 10 € "Big Blind" and raised for another 30 €, which is to say that he/she raised the pot by these 30 €. During "Pot Limit" tournaments, it is usual to use the real value of the "Small Blind" and the player after the "Blinds" in the first betting round, may place a bet of maximum 3,5 times higher than the "Big Blind" one.
7. In the "Pot Limit" the minimum bet at the beginning of each round is the amount of the "Big Blind". The bet or the raising must be equal or should exceed the value of the previous bet or raise. The minimum raising that may be made by each player is 100% over the amount of the previous raise or if only "Big Blind" has been placed, then the minimum raise will be to the amount of the "Big Blind", of course, after the amount of the "Big Blind" has first been settled. Supported by examples it looks like this:
If in a betting round with minimum and maximum bets on the table 5/10, where the "Small Blind" is 5 €, and the "Big Blind" is 10 €, the first player places the bet "Big Blind" , the second player may place a bet of 10 € as a response to the first one and make a minimum raise of 10 €, which means he/she has made a total bet of 20 €. The next player after him/her, who wants to make a minimum raise, should place 30 €, meaning that this is the response to the previous 20 € , and to make a minimum raise of 10 €, thus, responding 100% to the previous raise, which amount was 10 €. Or if the first player invests 75 €, the second one should respond by 75 €, and then shall make a minimum raise of another 75 €, which is 100% amount of the previous bet, which means that the second player has invested a total of 150 €.
The third player should response to the previous bet meaning that he/she has to place a bet of 150 € (thus, in fact, he/she responded to the bet of 75 € of the first player and 75 € raise by the second player), and if this player wants to make a minimum raise, he/she should place 100% of the previous raise, which is 75 €, meaning that he/she has invested total 225 €. The fourth player accordingly if he/she wants to make a minimum raise, he/she should place 225 € and another 75 € thus betting with 300 € (i.e. 4 times x 75 € ). Here the equation is used C = B + B (B - A), where A is the first player, B the second one, while C is the third player. Usually a double raise is made if the first player, for example, bets with 100 € , while the second one wants to make a minimum raise and will invest 200 €, meaning that he/she responded 100% to the previous bet and raised by minimum 100% than the previous bet, which means additional new 100 €. The third player, if he/she wants to make a minimum raise as the second one, will place a bet of 300 €, etc.
8. The minimum raise after the "straddle bet" is equal to the "Big Blind".
9. The maximum bet of particular player may be placed when his turn comes for action is the amount of the pot at that particular time.